EANGKS State Legislative Goals
The Enlisted Association of the National Guard of Kansas is an organization comprised of Enlisted men and women of the Army and Air National Guard and their supporters who have banded together to pursue mutual goals in support of the National Guard and the national defense.
EANGKS proudly supports the following Kansas Legislative Priorities:
EANGKS State Legislative Priorities
· Fix statutory language that excludes more than 90% of Guardsmen from tax breaks available to full-time members
- KSA 79-5107 provides a two-vehicle tax registration break to AGRs only
- EANGKS supports changing the language from “full-time AGR member” to “member in good standing”
- “Member in good standing” is used throughout Kansas law to describe eligible Guard personnel
· Create a fund separate from State General Fund for Kansas Lottery Veterans Benefit revenue
- 40% of Kansas Lottery Veterans Benefit revenue goes to our state Tuition Assistance Program
- However, the money goes through SGF first, making it subject to budget reductions and sweeps
- Creating a separate fund would ensure ALL of the money goes to TA, as it is intended
· Protect the TAG’s Budget from further cuts.
- Allow Kansas National Guard members in state tuition fees at Kansas Regents Institutions–even if they live outside the state.
- Continued support for Suicide Prevention efforts by Kansas National Guard leadership and in Kansas communities
· Assign a special identifier for all military children in Kansas public school data systems
- Every Student Succeeds Act collects data on how military-connected children perform in school
- However, it does not include children with parents serving in the National Guard
- Children of Guard members face unique circumstances that affect their education