National Legislative Watch List
Soldier/Airman Care Issues
H.R.4381 (Service member Retirement Improvement Act) Cosponsors: 0
- To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to allow members of the Ready Reserve of a reserve component of the Armed Forces to make elective deferrals on the basis of their service to the Ready Reserve and on the basis of their other employment
- Introduced by Rep. Johnson, Sam [R-TX-3] (Introduced 01/13/2016)
- Referred to Committee: Ways and Means (01/13/2016)
- EANGUS Call to Action 2016-01: HR 4381 – Servicemember Retirement Improvement Act
- For more info: http://eangus.org/legislative-action-center
H.R 2237 (Helping Veterans Exposed to Burn Pits Act) Cosponsors: 8
- Directs the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) to establish a center of excellence in the prevention, diagnosis, mitigation, treatment, and rehabilitation of health conditions relating to exposure to open burn pits and other environmental exposures in Afghanistan or Iraq.
- Introduced by Rep. Elizabeth Etsy, D-CT.
- Referred to the Subcommittee on Military Personnel (08/13/2015)
- For more info: https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/house-bill/2237
- EANGUS Call to Action 2016-02: HR 2237 Helping Veterans Exposed to Burn Pits Act
H.R. 800 (Express Appeals Act) Cosponsors: 20
- Directs the Secretary of Veterans Affairs to carry out a pilot program to provide veterans the option of using an alternative appeals process to more quickly determine claims for disability compensation.
- Introduced by Rep. Beto O’Rourke, D-Texas
- Referred to Committee: Veteran’s Affairs
S. 1203 (21st Century Veterans Benefits Delivery Act) Cosponsors: 10
- Improves the processing of claims for benefits under laws administered by the Secretary of Veterans’ Affairs.
- Introduced by Sen. Dean Heller, R-Nev.
- Passed by Senate Nov. 10, 2015
- Referred to House Committee: Referred to the Subcommittee on Disability Assistance and Memorial Affairs. (12/3/2015)
- For more info: https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/senate-bill/1203
H.R. 303 (Retired Pay Restoration Act) Cosponsors: 92
- Permits additional retired members of the Armed Forces who have a service-connected disability to receive both disability compensation from the VA for their disability and either retired pay by reason of their years of military service or Combat-Related Special Compensation.
- Eliminates the phase-in period under current law with respect to such concurrent receipt.
- Introduced by Rep. Gus Bilirakis, R-Fla.
- Referred to Committees: Armed Services; Veterans’ Affairs
S. 271 (Retired Pay Restoration Act) Cosponsors: 23
- Permits certain retired members of the uniformed services who have a service-connected disability to receive both disability compensation from the Department of Veterans’ Affairs for their disability and either retired pay by reason of their years of military service or Combat-Related Special Compensation.
- Introduced by Sen. Harry Reid, D-Nev
- Referred to Committee: Armed Services
- For more info: https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/senate-bill/271